This is a very understated cake with serious mmmmmm factor!!!! It's made even better by the fact that it is so simple to make!
It takes about an hour to make enough for 20 pieces, and is perfect for family picnics, camping trips etc. as it is so easy to transport.
175g/6oz softened butter
250g/9oz self-raising flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
250g/9oz caster sugar
3 large eggs
9 tbsp milk
finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
For the icing:
Juice of 1 lemon
100g/4oz caster sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180°/160°fan/gas mark 4.
2. Butter and line the base of a cake tin measuring 22x28cm with greaseproof paper.
3. Put all the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl and beat together for 2-3 mins until the mixture drops easily off the spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin, and smooth. Bake in the oven for 35-45mins until golden and firm*.
5. To make the icing, beat the sugar and lemon juice to a paste. Spoon this over the cake as evenly as possible whilst the cake is still hot, then leave to cool in the cake tin. Cut into 20 pieces.
This cake keeps well wrapped in foil. It can also be frozen.
*You can test that a cake is ready by using a sharp knife of skewer. Insert into the centre of the cake. If it is clean when you take it out, the cake is ready. If not leave for 5mins before testing again. If you feel the cake is getting too brown you can put a piece of kitchen foil loosely over the top.
Happy baking. I am sure that this will become a family favourite!
N.B The lovely tea towel you can see in the image is a new product that will be available to buy very soon, along with the pinnies and other goodies in my shop.
You can find more delicious recipes here.