This really is a very simple, delicious cake. It is the perfect recipe to use up those over ripe bananas that have been left in the fruit bowl as it is essential that ripe bananas are used!
200g/8oz self raising flour
400g/1lb ripe bananas
100g/4oz caster sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
100g/4oz sultanas (I don't use these if I am using it as the base for a birthday cake)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 600g/1 1/2lb cake tin.
2. Sieve flour into a bowl, add the butter, and rub in until the mixture looks like bread crumbs, then stir in the sugar.
3. Peel and mash the bananas, add to the mixture along with the eggs and sultanas, and thoroughly mix.
4. Pour into prepared tin and place in the oven for 1 hour 10 mins or until the cake is golden and cooked through. You can test it by putting a skewer into the center of the cake, it is ready if the skewer is clean when you take it out.
5. Leave in the tin for 5 mins before taking it out and leaving on a wire rack to cool.
This cake is delicious fresh, but lasts for a few days if kept in an air tight container.