Monday 22 November 2010

Another weekend has flown! A craft fair on Saturday and cake making on Sunday

I had a good weekend.  Amongst helping Father Christmas making gifts, I had a stall at a local village fair in Wheelton.  It was a lovely event.  The people were great and they had a good turn out, I sold quite a lot of my stock and there was a lot of interest in my work.  Excellent.  Here's a picture of my stall.  The quality of the picture isn't too hot, but I was pleased with how it looked.  The Fairy came along to help (as it was only a couple of hours) and my mum came up too.  



On Sunday I managed to get my pinny on for a bit of cake making with the children, and convinced the Fairy that it was a good idea to make a lovely apple cake rather than the fairy cakes she loves to make.  I have made this cake once before to take to my brothers, but to be honest the recipe that I used originally was a little too faffy to make with two young children so I adapted it, and now it is very simple.  

Yummy Apple Cake Recipe


Ingredients:

125g soft butter
125g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
125g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
3 small firm dessert apples
* you can also use a couple of tbsp flaked almonds to sprinkle on the top if you fancy it (I didn't have any in!!)

1.  Pre-heat oven to 180*/160*(fan oven)/gas mark 4 and grease a 20cm loose bottomed cake tin and line its base with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream together butter and sugar until sort and fluffy.
3.  Add the egg a little at a time, beating as you go along.
4. Add the flour and baking powder, mix it through and put cake mixture into the cake tin.
(At this point I gave my little helpers a beater each from the electric mixer to lick whilst I sorted the apples!!)
5.  Core the apples and cut in half (if you have the luxury of an apple corer.  I don't so cut in half and carefully removed the core with a small knife.  Don't worry if it looks messy, you won't see it).  You now need to make fine slices in the curved side of the apple without cutting all the way through.  See the picture below.  Place the apples on top of the cake mixture.  Don't be tempted to push them down... the first one of these cakes I made you couldn't see the apple!!!


6.  Sprinkle the almonds on top if you are using and pop it into the middle of you oven and leave for 35-40mins until golden and firm.  I checked mine after 30mins and it was golden but not firm (the skewer wasn't clean when I pierced the centre of the cake) so I covered it loosely with a piece of kitchen foil and left it for another 5 mins.
7.  Allow to stand in the tin for a couple of min, then put onto wire rack to cool.



Delicious cold with a cup of tea, but could be eaten warm with ice-cream, or maybe even custard!!



No comments: