Sunday 14 November 2010

My niece's birthday pressie

In a previous post I mentioned that I had been busy making my 2 year old niece's birthday pressie.  Yesterday we trekked over the border to Yorkshire to her party and took this with us.


I am pleased to say it is a hit.  She gave it lots of kisses, but wasn't too sure about sticking the pole in between her legs to ride it.  The Fairy and the Little Tinker weren't too impressed that we were giving it away, and I have now been informed that we need one in our house (even though we have Lily, the fairy's huge rocking horse, and a smaller version for the Little Tinker).

This is how I made it...

..first I made a pattern (with the help of Bob the Builder!!!).

After sewing my pieces together and attaching the ears, I made a start on the hair.  This is the most time consuming, but quite a simple task... I did mine whilst visiting my brother during half-term when I didn't have access to my sewing machine!!!



I then stitched on my eyes before stuffing and inserting a length of pole with the top covered in glue.


If you look closely at the image below, you can see that the horse is smiling.  My husband thought that the horses nose was a little too pointy.  I didn't really fancy removing the stuffing and re-sewing to change the shape, but he had other ideas and simply pushed the mouth up to make it smile.  A couple of stitches, and she was looking perfect.


A perfect pressie for a little person, and enough time before Christmas to make a few!!!

N.B It's funny though... I noticed once I had finished it, that out of all the fabric I have, I chose the same fabric for the horses ears that I had used on a dress for a rag doll that I had made for her 1st birthday pressie!!

No comments: