Saturday 14 January 2012

There's always time for biscuit making!!!

This week has been a busy week.  For some reason I was under the impression that I would feel like I had a little more time as my little Tinker (3) started his two and a half days at nursery this week.  Silly really as there is always something that results in you dashing around!  New products to photograph and edit, parcels containing my goodies to be wrapped and sent, and fabric to moon over.  Oh, I also had a play around on photoshop with some fabric designs, and I am now waiting (I'm not a good at waiting!) for a sample to arrive, so I guess I have had a little time to do something I have wanted to do for a while.

We (myself and the Tinker) did however have time to make two batches of delicious biscuits!  The first one, made at the beginning of the week, disappeared very quickly... so yesterday we made some more, ready for the stroll back from school.


These biscuits are really easy to make (you could have them made in 30mins), are a healthier alternative to shop bought ones, and really are truly delicious!  It's a recipe I got from a BBC Good Food magazine years ago, I did look for a link to it on their website, but was unable to find it so here it is.

Anzac Biscuits (makes 20)

85g/3oz porridge oats
85g/3oz desiccated coconut
100g/4oz plain flour
100g/4oz caster sugar
100g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
1 tbsp golden syrup
1tsp bicarbonate of soda

1.  Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.  Grease a couple of baking trays.  
2.  Put the oats, desiccated coconut, flour and sugar in a bowl and mix together.
3.  In a pan melt the butter, then stir in the syrup and take off the heat.
4.  Put your bicarbonate of soda into a cup and add 2 tbsp hot water, then add this mixture to the butter and syrup mixture and watch it bubble!
5.  Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix together, until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
6.  Take dessertspoonfuls of the mixture and gently press them into a ball in your hands.  Place on the baking tray, about 2.5cm/1" apart (to allow for growth!), and gently press down.
7.  Bake for 8-10mins until golden*.  Carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool (they are quite delicate until they have cooled).

*  My daughter prefers these biscuits slightly soft in the middle.  Take them out of the oven when they are golden brown around the edges and lighter in the middle.  If you prefer crunchy biscuits leave them in the oven until they are golden brown all over. 

Happy baking!


And here's a glimpse at the new products I have been working on.  These are now available in my Etsy shop and there will be more to come later in the week :-)





Happy weekend everyone!

Oh, I nearly forgot, don't miss out on the chance of winning this little fellow...

... find out how here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Blimey, it's only 9am on Saturday and already you have been blogging and baking! Superwoman!

LOULA BELLE AT HOME said...

Blogging yes, but the biscuits were made yesterday!