Thursday 18 August 2011

A Trip to Chester

Yesterday is was our wedding anniversary, and we decided to celebrate by spending a night away in a posh hotel (We hadn't had a night away by ourselves since we had children  and the Fairy is now 7!!).  We fancied a city not too far away from home so that there wasn't too much traveling involved, and decided on Chester, a city packed full of history.

After dropping our bags off at the Abode Hotel, we spent most of the day wandering around the walls of the city, dropping off them to experience the river Dee and the bustle of the shopping area, to admire the architecture from different periods, and to eat and drink.  

Unfortunately for me, we had been in a rush to get out of the hotel, to make the most of our time without the children, and had forgotten to put my camera in my bag ('typical' I hear my mum saying!).  

The Old Dee Bridge

Chester Cathedral 
If you are interested in buildings at all, Chester really is a place to visit.  Within the city walls, you will find the remains of Roman architecture, Medieval architecture including the Old Dee Bridge and Chester Cathedral.  There are also the stunning black and white Tudor Buildings which are so predominant. Include in these are The Rows, which look like Tudor Shopping Mall with shops at street level and steps leading to a gallery area where you find more shops.  There are also some beautiful examples of Georgian and Victorian architecture.  If you would like to look into the architecture more, there is some information here.

After many hours wandering, we headed back to the hotel to put our feet up (!!!) for half an hour before freshening up for the evening.

We started our evening on the terrace of the cocktail bar in the hotel with a Cosmopolitan.  Yum, although a little pricey!


And then headed off into town to eat at Duttons.  We were struggling to eat.  There are lots of very (very) posh restaurants in Chester, but to be honest, I don't go in for flash looking food at extortionate prices.  I like good quality, relaxed dining, that can be shared.  The food at Duttons was reasonably good, somewhere in the middle really.  After eating we stumbled upon The Living Room where we discovered a signature menu of cocktails at very reasonable prices, so simply had to sample some before making our way back to the hotel.

So, what did I think to Chester?  I loved it.  I loved just wandering and looking at the buildings, and soaking up the atmosphere... we were very lucky as the sun shined for us all day!  It was just a little too busy for me during the day.  I struggle with hustle and bustle, which is why I don't do much shopping (in saying that I did come home with a new dress and a top!).  I am also pleased that our anniversary was during the week as it was quiet eating in the evening.  I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if we were fighting for space, and I get the impression that this would be the case at weekend, particularly when there are races on... I think the vibe would change considerably.  It's definitely worth a visit, just choose your time!  

No comments: